Thursday, September 11, 2008

Politics

It seems as if these days you can't turn on the television or internet without seeing something about the upcoming election. And it is driving me nuts!!!!
I am not a political person. I will even admit that I have only voted three times in my life; once when I was 19 and in college, and the other two times were the previous presidential elections. Not a stellar voting record.
And most of the time, I don't really care to get involved. I care about our country and the lack of morals and values we have now, but I've never felt burdened to do anything about it. Maybe it was because before I had children, I was a very selfish person and nothing that didn't directly involve me didn't matter as much.
But since I have had children, so much has changed. Sounds cliché, but true nonetheless. Now I want to show, by my example, the way things work. I don't believe our government always works but I should be involved. The problem I am finding now, is that I am not exactly your average American. I don't line up completely with either of the two main parties. That said, I am registered republican and do mainly agree with that platform. But I haven't yet discovered what I really want out of my government.
No questions asked, I am pro-life and I believe the Bible to be God's Holy Word and could not knowingly vote for anyone who favored legislation that tried to bring our country further from the Word. That fact alone prevents me from even wanting to vote democrat.
But from there, things are different. In theory, I am against big government but, unfortunately, people aren't doing their part the way they should, and many people are doing without so much. I feel like there should be some help for people who need it, but I also feel that so many take advantage. I'd say, I fall more into the libertarian camp there.
As for war, I feel as such a strong nation, we should be available to help struggling countries. But I'm not sure exactly how and when.
I do feel that gun control isn't going to do what some people think it will. And we are given a constitutional right to bear arms.
I guess, I have many feelings about many issues, but none of my feelings seems to match up with any party or candidate.
At this point in time, if we were to vote tomorrow, I would be voting for McCain. He is closer to my way of thinking than any other.

But the main thing I feel right now is anger. I have spent way too much time on the internet reading way too much information that makes me mad. I have been involved in a few online message boards for a few years. One of the sites is a big one that I use some of their software but don't chat with the other ladies all that much. And then the other two sites I frequent, I chat a lot and have made quite a few friends. The big site has a place for conservatives and liberals to talk, separately, and then a debate board for them to discuss. This is mainly where I get the angriest. The liberals I have run across here are just hateful. Anyone who has a different opinion is uneducated, close-minded, racist, or just plain dumb. And it's making me so mad. I know, logically, that I just shouldn't read, but I find myself drawn there. It's getting ridiculous.
I am now trying to avoid places like that that get me going. I realize I have this blog and I am going to use it to get my feelings out and then give it to God. I can't take on the world. It's not my personal job to make this country a Christian country. I can do my part but only go so far.

And now I realize that maybe in the past, I wasn't involved in politics because of this very reason. I make it personal. If someone doesn't agree with my beliefs and make derogatory remarks about those beliefs, I take it as a personal slap in the face.
I asked the ladies in my bible study group to pray for me, to help me let go of the anger. And I do feel a bit better now. One of the ladies gave me a verse from Chronicles that has helped a lot. 2 Chronicles 20:15-17


And he said, Listen, all Judah, and you people of Jerusalem, and King Jehoshaphat! So says Jehovah to you, Do not be afraid nor dismayed because of this great multitude. For the battle is not yours, but God's.
Tomorrow go down against them. Behold, they come up by the cliff of Ziz. And you shall find them at the end of the valley, before the wilderness of Jeruel.
You shall not fight in this battle. Set yourselves and stand, and see the salvation of Jehovah with you, O Judah and Jerusalem. Do not fear nor be dismayed. Tomorrow go out against them, for Jehovah will be with you.


It is not my battle! Wow! That's so great! It's not my battle. And even if a the democrats win this election, it's okay. God is with me. And He still gets the glory. He can use anyone, even the enemy, to His divine purpose. So I have no reason to be angry. God is good, and He's good all the time, in all circumstances. Hallelujah!!

No comments: