Wednesday, April 22, 2009

What I really think about it...

I am tired of reading so much hatred against Christians. And I am tired of trying to fit into this world that seems to dislike me just for my beliefs. My first priority in this life is to live it as Christ would have me live it. And I have the manual He wanted me to use. It's a manual that isn't always easy to interpret, and many interpret it differently than I do. Some, many, interpret it wrong. I even do sometimes.
I have been struggling with how to live in this world and survive with others who don't share my beliefs. And I find myself losing sleep over the fact that others just don't "see" that I am not a bad person, but that I am trying to live as God wants me to. I was in the car and heard someone give a verse. And when I looked it up, a light bulb went off.

Galatians 1:10 Now am I trying to win the favor of men, or of God? Do I seek to please men? If I were still seeking popularity with men, I should not be a bond servant of Christ.

Wow! Guess if I had been paying more attention to what the bible had to say, God wouldn't have had to take me behind the woodshed!

I am a Christian; I believe that the bible is the inspired word of God and as such, every single word in it is true! Even when I don't understand why, it is still true. And to claim to be a Christian and not uphold the scripture would be a lie.
I don't get why some things are considered sin. There are a lot of things I have done, every single day, that are considered sins. But I am trying to learn and be aware and do my best not to commit those sins over and over again. Which is why, as a Christian, I cannot condone anyone doing anything that is a sin. While it is not my place to judge what is in someones heart, I can read what the bible has to say about something and decide how God would have me act.

For example, (and this is just an example, one that seems to be everywhere these days) In the bible, God is very clear about sexual immorality:
1 Corinthians 6:9-10 Do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived. Neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor homosexuals, nor sodomites, nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners will inherit the kingdom of God.
And I believe that. So I cannot do anything that might condone that kind of behavior. Does it mean that I haven't committed those sins? No. I have. But because I am washed in the blood of the Lamb, I have asked for forgiveness and am now forgiven. If I continue to live in the sin, I will not be forgiven. But I cannot do anything that might cause another to fall into that sin. So, just from a worldly view, when things like politics come into play, I have to vote with my faith. It cannot be separated from who I am. If a political leader wants to legislate adultery, I would have to vote that it is a sin, and should be a crime. Maybe not punishable, but at least, if there was a situation where two people had an issue, the one who was not the adulterer should be given a leg up. The same goes for homosexuality. I know that people who are homosexuals can be wonderful, loving people; good parents; good friends; productive members of society. But God says that homosexuality is wrong. And for me to say that it's okay would be like slapping Him in the face. In this world, it would be easy for me to turn my head and act like nothing is a big deal. But it is to God.
I don't always get it but it's hard to argue with the bible.

I also want to add one more scripture.
Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.

Regardless of what may be acceptable to the world, if something isn't acceptable to God, I am against it. I have to be. I couldn't live with myself if I weren't.

No comments: