Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Why?

I am so sad. I just read a post about adoption in the blogsphere. And I am crushed.
Why do so many people think it's okay to have an abortion? Seriously. Why?
The post I read was about a woman who had given up a child and had had an abortion as well. She said that the abortion was much easier. And then proceeded to go on about how hard adoption is.
Okay, I get it. Truly. I can't imagine the pain of having to give up a child for adoption. I cannot ever imagine how truly heart wrenching it must be. I'm not stupid. I know, too, that adoptees don't have it easy.
And I wish I had some magic pill that made it easy all round. But I don't.
I do think that people should think before they speak. And yes, I can see that people saying "just put the baby up for adoption" have no idea what they are talking about. It can't be an easy fix.
And my heart breaks for any woman who is ever put in a position where she has to consider adoption, abortion, or how on earth she will be able to keep and raise a child. I've never been pregnant when I wasn't trying to be pregnant, so I can't really get what it must be like.
But why, why does that make it okay to kill a baby?
Never once has anyone been promised an easy life. There are always going to be choices in life that will affect your life forever. I'm not trying to say that one persons pain and grief are any less than anothers. But I have never understood the argument that because one person may have to live with an awful reality (like giving up a child for adoption) another persons life should have to end.

I know, I know, not everyone believes that an unborn child is a person. But I can't even stomach that idea right now. So I'll save that discussion for another day.

And I really get mad when I hear that a pro-life person isn't concerned with the mother, just the baby. The person who wrote the post basically said that all pro-lifers cared about was forcing a woman to give birth. And that after that, they didn't care about the baby or the mother.
I don't know what pro-lifers this woman has met, but that doesn't sound like any I know.
I know many, many women who have put their hearts on the line and have reached out to other women. I know many people (men and women) who have helped out at crisis pregnancy centers, before and yes, even after the birth. I have also known many people who have adopted children, who have helped others adopt, who generally care about other people and just help out any way they can.
I, myself, am involved with a group of women and we are trying to get a ministry started. It is a ministry that we hope will involve all kinds of people but the first leg of our journey is to minister to women and girls who find themselves pregnant and don't want to be. We want to give them true choices and offer help and guidance and hope.

I wish I were a more eloquent writer so that I could really get my point across. But this will have to suffice.
I care; I care about women; I care about babies; I care about children; I care about people. And I cannot help but feel pain about women justifying pro-choice. It's just not a reasonable choice.

1 comment:

Luke Holzmann said...

That was a crazy painful post, wasn't it? I hope to get around to responding to it in the coming days, but it's going to take time. I'm really glad you posted your thoughts here.

I think the main point boils down to this: Yes, it is harder to give up a baby for adoption if you believe that abortion is merely stopping the development of a clump of cells. The moment the child become a human being the reality of the pain and ethics sets in... which is why pro-lifers are so adamant that we protect the child.

This is a very difficult subject to write/talk/think about because there is so much pain involved... but that's what happens in fallen world. May the grace and peace of Christ shine through us in this hurting world.

~Luke