Wednesday, October 28, 2009

The Sky is Falling!

Today we had some people re-roofing the house. There are three skylights that had to be replaced, too. And let me say, I do not like listening to someone walking on my house. Or scraping off shingles. Or nailing down tar paper. Or playing loud music in Spanish, so I can't understand it. Or. Or. Or. Just one of the myriad of things that kept me on edge today.
I am also very sad. There seems to be so much negativity around these days. And I am annoyed.
I'm annoyed at myself most of all. Some of what I have been struggling with lately is my own place in this world. I want to stay in my comfortable little bubble and not ever do anything that makes me the tiniest bit uncomfortable.
But that is just not right. There are things in life that are and should be uncomfortable. And given the way this world seems to be moving, just by being a Christian, I am going to cause people to be uncomfortable. And today, I watched some ladies I admire very much take some huge hits for the Kingdom. They put themselves out there and proclaimed Jesus to be the Way, the Truth, and the Life. And the were persecuted verbally for this Truth. And I sat by and basically did nothing.
Oh, I tried to make myself feel better by saying a little bit, but I didn't do all that I could have.
I have this fear of looking foolish. You've heard that expression, "It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt", well, I seem to have internalized it. The thought that I will look foolish paralyzes me.
And then I read this scripture:
1 Peter 3:13-17 And who is he who will harm you if you become followers of what is good? But even if you should suffer for righteousness’ sake, you are blessed. “And do not be afraid of their threats, nor be troubled.” But sanctify the Lord God in your hearts, and always be ready to give a defense to everyone who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you, with meekness and fear; having a good conscience, that when they defame you as evildoers, those who revile your good conduct in Christ may be ashamed. For it is better, if it is the will of God, to suffer for doing good than for doing evil.
Kinda puts me in my place, huh? Especially the bolded part. I know what I should be doing for the Lord. And by doing nothing, by sitting silent and letting others proclaim the Gospel for me, I am not doing good for God. I am doing nothing.
But all is not lost. I can turn it around and do what God is asking of me. I can learn from my mistakes. I can gain wisdom.
Proverbs 1:20-33:
20 Wisdom calls aloud outside;
She raises her voice in the open squares.
21 She cries out in the chief concourses,
At the openings of the gates in the city
She speaks her words:
22 “ How long, you simple ones, will you love simplicity?
For scorners delight in their scorning,
And fools hate knowledge.
23 Turn at my rebuke;
Surely I will pour out my spirit on you;
I will make my words known to you.
24 Because I have called and you refused,
I have stretched out my hand and no one regarded,
25 Because you disdained all my counsel,
And would have none of my rebuke,
26 I also will laugh at your calamity;
I will mock when your terror comes,
27 When your terror comes like a storm,
And your destruction comes like a whirlwind,
When distress and anguish come upon you.
28 “ Then they will call on me, but I will not answer;
They will seek me diligently, but they will not find me.
29 Because they hated knowledge
And did not choose the fear of the LORD,
30 They would have none of my counsel
And despised my every rebuke.
31 Therefore they shall eat the fruit of their own way,
And be filled to the full with their own fancies.
32 For the turning away of the simple will slay them,
And the complacency of fools will destroy them;
33 But whoever listens to me will dwell safely,
And will be secure, without fear of evil.”

I've had it all wrong! As long as I am proclaiming His Truth, I won't be foolish! Fearing the Lord, obeying His commands, that is true wisdom. Turning away from Him is when you look foolish! Light-bulb moment for me!!  Psalm 53:1 The fool has said in his heart, “There is no God.” 
So, I resolve to not be afraid of looking foolish. I have the Truth. John 8:31-32 Then Jesus said to those Jews who believed Him, “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free.” 

4 comments:

Michelle said...

Make no mistake about it, you will *look* and *feel* foolish, but that's our enemy. And he's pretty good at that.

Keep on truckin'. Not sure what you would have added to the climate yesterday by jumping in there. Might have made it worse. Sometimes wisdom is sitting it out. You did fine.

But don't back down, either, when its appropriate, even when they are coming fast. :) I'll be here to cheer you on. You can do it, and do it well, and you will. I have faith in you.

Much, much love to you, friend. Proud of you.

Michelle said...

Mae, I thought about it and decided it would have been better if I had said that you should follow your convictions on it, and if you felt that yesterday was a time you should have spoken out, then ok.

But what I meant was don't worry about yesterday, and just do it next time you're convicted to.

Terri said...

Love you girl!!! XOXOXO

Unknown said...

I am sooo glad to have come across your blog.. I love it when others write about their belief in our saviour with such passion..

God bless you and as long as is the Lord disciplining you is all for the best.. For we are all His children but not all His sons.. :) and He discplines His sons..