Monday, December 14, 2009

It's not about the presents, it's about His presence

It's Christmas again. And I have a confession to make. I bought too much for the boys. Sigh. Every year I say I'm going to back off and make Christmas be what it should be about, and every year I fail.

It's easy to get down on myself and think that I am not a good enough mom, that I haven't done enough for the boys. But then I listen when they pray. And I watch as they help each other out, and are kind to one another. Then I tell them we need to get rid of some of their toys, and they tell me who I should give this one to, and this one to, and can't we find something to give to so-and-so. And they always want to give more money at church. They will find coins and want it for the offering. And they are eager to go to the neighbors house and take her mail. There are so many ways they show their heart.
And that is when I realize that I am not failing at this mom thing. I can definitely do things to improve, but I am not failing.

I will always strive for ways to help the boys (and myself) know that what really matters is the presence of Jesus. As long as He is in our lives, we can do anything, we can handle anything, we can survive anything. His presence brings meaning into our lives. And as long as I have Him, I will continue to strive to be the best mom I can be. And one day, my boys will know without a doubt that it's not about the presents, but it's about the presence of Jesus.

No comments: