Wednesday, March 31, 2010

So....

So, life is moving here. Things are crazy like always. My grandpa is not doing well. He's 89 years old and has had two heart attacks and has had everything done medically that can be done. He's tired and he's ready to go home. And in all honesty, that's what I'm praying for. I don't want to think about grandpa not being here, but I don't want him to keep on like he has been. He sleeps almost all the time. He's dizzy all the time. He can barely walk. There's not a lot he enjoys doing.
It's so hard. I want him healthy. But that is not a possibility now. And I know that he's a Christian; he will be in heaven and be pain free. So, the fact that he will be happier when he's gone is huge, but I don't want him to be gone. I want him here, like the grandpa he was. And because that's not possible, I just want him in peace.

Man, let me tell you about my grandpa. He was a farmer. He grew up on a farm that his mother's parents homesteaded. When he was in his 20's, he joined the army and was in WWII. When the war was over, he married my grandma. They settled down on their own farm and raised dairy cattle. My mom was born just before their first anniversary. Over the years, they welcomed four more daughters. They worked hard, made a good life for themselves and most importantly, raised five strong, independent, Christian daughters. Their legacy is amazing. There are 15 grandchildren (10 girls and 5 boys) and 18 great grandchildren (7 girls and 10 boys). I am the oldest grandchild (ahem, 38) and my youngest cousin is 12 (I think). And honestly, I think that every single one of us is a Christian. Faith is extremely important in our family. One of my aunts homeschools my four cousins. She's the first person I ever knew who homeschooled. Her oldest is a senior this year and I am so proud of the job she has done. Each of those four cousins is someone I would love to have raised. They are the best kids. I look to my aunt (and uncle) to see the way I want to raise my family.
With the exception of my mom and my brother and I, the rest of the family lives within minutes of each other. I miss the fact that I did not grow up with them, but I am still proud of the fact that I belong to such a wonderful family. I wouldn't trade them for anything.

My mom and my brother are driving right this minute to go visit them. I wish that I could be with them. I just can't right now. It takes almost 2 days to get there, 2 days back, and at least 3 to stay, so Hub can't take the time off to go with me, or keep the boys here. And of course, two of the boys woke up in the night last night with fevers so it's best we're home for now anyway. Then there's the fact that my father in law is coming for a visit today. It's only the second time we've seen him since my mother in law passed away last year. I'm sure there will be many emotions involved with this visit.

So I'm a bit of an emotional wreck right now. God is pulling me through. It just happens that today is day 90 in my Read the Bible in 90 Days task. I am proud of the fact that I have been able to do this. I am so close to being done. I have to read Revelation, which is no easy task, and there is the possibility that given two sick kids and last minute clean-up for FIL visit, and baseball practice tonight, that I won't be able to read all 22 chapters, but I am going to do my best. And at the very least, I will finish tomorrow, in 91 days. No matter, this will be the first time I have ever read the Bible through. And I am very proud of myself. And I can't wait to do it again. This has been the best thing I have ever done for myself. I am so much closer to God than I was when I started. I have this burning desire to read His Word every day now. I do not want to lose this feeling. Good thing I have such good friends and family that want to see me keep focused on Him and who will push me to stay in His Word.

So, umm, yeah, that's all I got for now. I do want to blog about what's going on with me weight-, eating-, exercise-, etc- wise, but not right now. I will get to it in a day or two. But things are going well, much better than I imagined they would be.
So, until later, here's a verse I'm holding onto right now:
Isaiah 26:3 You will keep him in perfect peace, whose mind is stayed on You, because he trusts in You.

No comments: