Sunday, July 18, 2010

Day 14 of 90: Repetition

Today's reading, Deuteronomy 8-23, is more looking back. Moses is still making it clear to the Israelites that they had better not forget what God has done for them.

Deuteronomy:
  • 8:1 Every commandment which I command you today you must be careful to observe, that you may live and multiply
  • 8:6 Therefore you shall keep the commandments of the LORD your God, to walk in His ways and to fear Him.
  • 8:11 Beware that you do not forget the LORD your God by not keeping His commandments, His judgments, and His statutes which I command you today
  • 8:18 And you shall remember the LORD your God
  • 9:7 Remember! Do not forget how you provoked the LORD your God to wrath in the wilderness.
  • 10:12-13 And now, Israel, what does the LORD your God require of you, but to fear the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways and to love Him, to serve the LORD your God with all your heart and with all your soul, and to keep the commandments of the LORD and His statutes which I command you today for your good
  • 10:20 You shall fear the LORD your God; you shall serve Him, and to Him you shall hold fast, and take oaths in His name.
  • 11:1 Therefore you shall love the LORD your God, and keep His charge, His statutes, His judgments, and His commandments always.
  • 11:8 Therefore you shall keep every commandment which I command you today
  • 11:13 And it shall be that if you earnestly obey My commandments which I command you today, to love the LORD your God and serve Him with all your heart and with all your soul
  • 11:22 For if you carefully keep all these commandments which I command you to do—to love the LORD your God, to walk in all His ways, and to hold fast to Him
  • 11:27 if you obey the commandments of the LORD your God which I command you today
  • 11:32 And you shall be careful to observe all the statutes and judgments which I set before you today.
  • 12:28 Observe and obey all these words which I command you, that it may go well with you and your children after you forever, when you do what is good and right in the sight of the LORD your God.
  • 12:32 Whatever I command you, be careful to observe it; you shall not add to it nor take away from it.
  • 13:4 You shall walk after the LORD your God and fear Him, and keep His commandments and obey His voice; you shall serve Him and hold fast to Him.
  • 13:18 because you have listened to the voice of the LORD your God, to keep all His commandments which I command you today, to do what is right in the eyes of the LORD your God.
  • 15:5 only if you carefully obey the voice of the LORD your God, to observe with care all these commandments which I command you today.
I find it amazing how many times keeping God's commands is referenced. I'm sure I missed some, but there's 18 times in just 8 chapters. God really wants to make sure that the Israelites hear Him. It is perfectly clear what it is that He requires of them. No one will ever be able to say, "But I didn't know!"

I can't say I didn't know. God made it crystal clear to me today that He is the one in control. He makes the rules and expects my obedience. I am to follow His commands.
And if I didn't get it from all of that, He showed me again with another series of verses. These all say "in the place the Lord your God chooses." Deuteronomy 12:5, 11, 14, 18, 21, 26; 14:24, 25; 16:2, 6, 7, 11, 15, 16; 17:8; and 18:6.
Again, He made it crystal clear that it's all about Him. Everything is all about where God chooses, what He chooses, who He chooses. It's not about me. It's all about Him.

No comments: