Friday, July 23, 2010

Day 19 of 90

Ruth, ah, Ruth. I have a cousin named Ruth. Used to be, she was the first person I thought of when I heard the name. But the Ruth in the Bible is the most famous Ruth of them all. And why not? She is one amazing woman.

I don't have a single original thought in my head tonight. So, I'm going to share some thoughts from Jack Modesett, who you can listen to at the Bible in 90 Days website. I was lucky enough to be in a group the first time I went through B90Days that watched the DVDs of weekly lessons. You can listen to them online. (totally worth it)

He talked about how Judges shows how we try to do it ourselves but make a complete mess of it. He says that we have a degenerative disease: sin. Sin will take you farther than you meant to go; keep you longer than you meant to stay; and make you pay more than you meant to pay. Judges is full of sin.
And yet, in the middle of all this failure, God inserts the book of Ruth, a story of redemption and love. It seems impossible that God can restore the brokenness in Ruth's life, and yet He does. And then Ruth is added into Jesus' family tree.
Wow! A non-Jew becomes the great-grandmother of David, King David. God can restore us all.

Thank you Lord.

*Hop on over to B90Days and have a listen at Jack Modesett give this lesson. I cried while he was talking about Ruth. It was truly memorable.*
**I think the weekly lessons are the same as the DVDs I watched. I need to listen and make sure.**

No comments: