Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 31 of 90

Today the verse that jumped out at me was 2 Chronicles 6:12-13 Then Solomon stood before the altar of the LORD in the presence of all the assembly of Israel, and spread out his hands (for Solomon had made a bronze platform five cubits long, five cubits wide, and three cubits high, and had set it in the midst of the court; and he stood on it, knelt down on his knees before all the assembly of Israel, and spread out his hands toward heaven).

I love this verse. Solomon is praising God, raising his hands in the presence of the Lord. Too often we are afraid to worship the Lord with abandon, to lift our hands in praise. We are concerned that someone may be looking at us or think something bad about us. We even think we shouldn't do it.

Growing up, I never knew of people who lifted their hands in worship, or danced for the Lord. That kind of worship wasn't discussed. As I got older, I learned that it was okay. I still didn't feel comfortable with it, but I realized that others did. Then I started going to a church where most of the people felt able to praise God however they felt. It was beautiful. It felt right to me.

Then my brother got married. One of his wedding pictures is the most beautiful picture I have ever seen. He and his wife have one arm around the other and the other arm is raised in praise to our Creator. Their faces are just so stunning in the way that they are so focused just on Him. The picture is breathtaking.

I want that. I want to worship Him with such abandon that I am able to lift my hands if I desire, to dance if the feeling comes, to sing to His glory. I'm not saying that everyone has to worship like that all the time, but it's nice to know it's not forbidden. I mean, if Solomon could spread his hands toward heaven and if David could dance for the Lord, well then, I guess I can raise my hands when I'm singing to Him.

No comments: